Friday, October 14, 2011
Bcu events blog 4
On October 13 th I wnt to a source panel at the stark stage. At 7:30. I was sitting towards the back because we were only a few minutes early and so most of the seats were already taken. There were a lot of people ther. Some were there becaue it was a Doyle leadership event but many of us were there because it was something we were interested in hearing about. It was really interesting that there were quite a few adults there. Usually at events at the stark stage at this time of night it is all college students but there was a surprising number of adults present. This event had three presenters whontalked about different aspects of gay or lesbian life. There was stuff about children in foster care and stuff about marriage and stuff about the difference between kids raised by gay or lesbian couples and kids raised by straight couples. I thought the most interesting was the speaker about foster care gay and lesbian kids and about the kids raised by gays and lesbians. I think my major in social work probably contributed to why I found the one about foster care so intriguing but I thought it was sad the way they were treated without love and were moved around more. In think other people reacted the same to that fact as I did; we were all shocked and sad that someone would treat a child about that. Then we heard about the kids raised by gay and lesbian couples. We were all shocked to find out that if one parent dies, the other doesn't get custody even if they were raised their whole life by that parent as well. I always thought there might a difference in kids raised by lesbian ir Gaya parents because they would probably be bullied more and theynwould act out but it turns out they are often more caring and compassionate than kids raised by straight parents and will standup to others being bullied. This answered my questions and probably a lot of other peoples. Tis experience was unique to me. I have never been to anything like it because this was a topic I didn't have a lot of experience with and I have never been to a panel like this. I have nothing to compare it to because it was such a unique and eye opening experience for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment